The brow shape is one of my most frequent questions. Just awhile ago I was working for Hugo Boss on a recent event of theirs, answering style questions. Even though the questions were supposed to be about the latest trends and styles for body shapes, I found myself answering questions about eyebrows!
The biggest issue at hand: sparse eyebrows.
When you have sparse hairs, then you can’t shape it the way you like and it is unevenly shaped.
Now I know just as well as any other woman that your eyebrow shape is one of the most important aspects of your facial character.
The reason may be genetic, due to hormonal imbalance, lack of nutrients or over-plucking.
Now first lets look at some of our options.
1) Tattoo – This is one of the oldest ways to shape eyebrows. I think to tattoo an eyebrow is good when you want to fill the spaces however I would almost never recommend anyone to ‘draw’ or shape an eyebrow unless you barely have any eyebrows. After a few years, the ink looks a different color and very obvious. Also eyebrow shapes go in and out of fashion. Don’t limit yourself, there are much better alternatives. If you MUST, there are tattoo artists in the UAE that specialize in cosmetic tattoo’s and they actually have a license (unlike other illegal tattooists in the country), they are trained to draw individual hairs to make it look as natural as possible. (Costs about 800 – 3000)
Pros: Does not smudge. Waterproof.
Cons: You CANNOT change the shape. Lasering it is painful and leaves a mark. Ink color changes over time, needs a retouch every few years
2) Eye pencil – I think this is a good quick fix. But you can almost point someone out who has their eyebrow penciled. If you find a perfect color thats great. (Costs Aed 40 – 150)
Pros: Easy to use. Can change the shape as often as you like.
Cons: Smudges in heat, not waterproof
3) Henna – I have noticed a large amount of Middle Eastern ladies have been using it here in Dubai. I really like the dark eyebrow look and it looks great on some, however sometimes I feel like Im talking to the eyebrow rather than the person. It is very distracting and sometimes TOO bold.
I tried it once and I loved it. I kept pestering the lady who did it for me that I want it VERY light and natural and she explained that if she leaves it on my skin for lesser time it will be lighter however it will only last 2,3 days. That was perfectly fine with me as I was too scared it wont suit me. I have to say I loved it, and my skeptical friend said it looked great too. (Costs Aed 60)
Pros: Waterproof, lasts for 5-7 days
Cons: Has to be handled by a professional who understands the shape you want.
4) Eyeshadow – Regular eyeshadow is an option and most make-up artists use this method. Its not too harsh looking and the shape can be altered but your eyebrow might be blown away with the wind unless you use a clear mascara or spray to hold it in place. And you dont want to do that, eitherwise you will loose the few hairs you have. Well ladies, theres a product to the rescue!
The Perfect brow. I have recommended this product to many women and they all swear by it. My moms friend told me about it once and I had to have it, being a product junkie even though I have thick and dark eyebrows. The good thing about this product is that it doesn’t smudge, lasts 24 hours, comes in a variety of colors, and comes with 3 stencil shapes. (Costs Aed 200)
Pros of the perfect brow: Different colors. Different stencils for you to experiment with, lasts 24 hours. No smudge. Can change shape regularly. Looks soft.
You get this whole kit including stencils to help u perfect the shape!
Similar to The Perfect Brow is Anastasia’s essential brow products which has taken Hollywood by storm. All of a sudden it’s all about eyebrows (also thanks to Cara Delevigne) You get a whole kit including tweezers, brow powder duo, brow stencils (Set of Five Shapes), Mini duo brush and a clear brow gel. (Costs Aed 237)
Comes in 5 shades. However there is no official retailer in the UAE yet so your best bet is to order online.
5) The marker – I found this marker while I was looking for a lip liner that is a marker. I never found a marker lip liner but I found this gem. You draw into your eyebrows, I prefer not filling but drawing hairs, to make it look more natural. It lasts the entire day, doesnt smudge in the heat and it is so easy to use. BUT you have to find the perfect color for you which is the tricky part, once you do, it’s the perfect option (Costs Aed 60)
Pros: Smudge proof. Lasts all day. Easy to handle
Cons: Comes in only 1 color. Can look harsh if overused.
Another option will be to grow out your eyebrows once again. I am currently testing if this is even possible. I have used both No7 lash serum & Revitalash for my lashes and eyebrows to see if they will grow out. I saw some changes but Im still not sure if it is significant enough to mention at the moment. That will be a later blog about lash and eyebrow serums!
Good luck in finding the perfect option for your eyebrows!